Monday, September 20, 2010

One year later...

So... it's been 367 days since my first (and thus far, most inspiring) blog post. A lot has happened since then, and a lot hasn't happened. Last year, I set a number of goals for myself. Since I said that I'd report back, here goes.

I wanted to do an advanced driving course – Sadly, I didn't make this one, so it's coming on the new list.

I wanted to get a steady girlfriend and share hundreds of happy moments with her – Well, I got the girlfriend, but we only got up to about 99 happy moments before she decided to dump me. Due to a standard “it's not you it's me”-speech, this reappears on the new list.

I wanted to finish the last golf course that I played in under forty strokes – Sadly, I haven't played on that course since last year. Thus, it goes on the new list.

I wanted to raise some money for a worthy cause – I was involved in some fund-raising for church, but that didn't feel very life-changing – hence, this also made it onto the new list.

I said that I wanted to get a new car – I got two. (One was written off by a guy who didn't bother to look where he was driving.)

I wanted to improve my English – I learned a couple of new words, but this one stays on the list.

I wanted to write a small computer game – Finally, we come to a goal that I reached. I wrote a small Battleships-like game with AI and everything. High five!

I wanted to transform my study from a mess into a harmonious working environment – Success! My study is far less messy than it used to be; it now features diplomas on the wall, and I bought new furniture.

I wanted to learn leadership skills – My leadership skills improved a bit over the course of the past year; I got elected as the chairman of a commission and I got more involved in youth work. However, I have no chance of wiping out the opposition in a presidential election, so this also stays on the list.

I wanted to learn more about people – I did, but not necessarily in a positive way. What I learned is this – people are full of crap.

I wanted to read at least five books – I lost count somewhere between ten and twenty. Mission accomplished!

I wanted to finish my degree with a bunch of distinctions – After many hours and late nights of hard work, I finished my degree with First Class Honours. In future, you may refer to me as Mr. Nel.

I wanted to bring a few business ideas to life – Nothing is alive and kicking yet, but if the ideas were like a sparkle in a young couple's eyes last year, we now have a positive pregnancy test. This also goes on the new list.

I wanted to buy some shares – Indirectly, I did. I invested some money towards my retirement, and some of that goes into shares.

I wanted to say less and do more – Unfortunately, this is still the wrong way around. Expect to see it on the new list.

I wanted to overcome logorrhea – See above.

You can expect to see my list of goals for the next year soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment